One of the best things you can do for yourself and for your skin is to get yourself a facial. It’s a wonderful way to pamper yourself and to help your skin have a nice healthy glow and look. However, you don’t have to go to a day spa and spend a fortune doing so. Instead, treat yourself in the comfort of your own home. Here is how to do a facial at home I hope you’ll find helpful. Here are the easy steps on how to do a facial at home.
Cleaning and Exfoliating Your Face
The first step in how to do a facial at home is to start off by pulling your hair back away from your face. You can use a hair headband, put in a ponytail with a rubber band or clip it back away from your face. You just don’t want you face in the way of your face when giving yourself this facial.
Wash your face with a nice gentle cleanser. This is an important step in how to do a facial at home because you want to make sure that you use a gentle cleanser to remove all of your make-up. Make sure that you use warm water, not hot or cold. If you want to make the facial special here is how to do a facial at home that is special. You can use almond, jojoba or olive oil to help clean your face and then wipe off with warm water. This is a great way to remove your make-up with no damage to your skin.
The next step in how to do a facial home is the exfoliation step. You want to exfoliate because it gets rid of the dead skin cells that can build up on your face. Here are three very simple and great exfoliants you might want to try:
- Combine one teaspoon of sugar, one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of milk and mix well. Apply to skin in a circular motion and then rinse with warm water.
- Combine one teaspoon of oatmeal, one teaspoon honey and one teaspoon of olive oil and apply to skin and rinse with warm water.
- Combine ground almonds, one teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of water and apply to skin and rinse with warm water.
After using any exfoliant make sure to rinse your face well and then gently pat it dry.
Massage Your Face
Massaging your face is an important step when it comes to how to do a facial at home. Massage not only feels good, it increases circulation and it makes your skin brighter looking and healthier. Use your forefinger and middle finger to do so making sure to do it in a gentle circular motion.
- Start by massaging your forehead by starting in the middle and them move down to your temples.
- Move to your nose and cheeks and massage in a circular motion.
- Finally massage your lips, jaw and chin.
How to do a facial at home also includes a wonderful steam treatment. To do this boil yourself a small pot of water. Turn off the heat once it’s come to a boil and pour into a bowl and then put a towel over your head and put your face over the bowl of hot water. Use the towel to help trap the steam coming from the water is trapped around your face. Steam for at least five minutes. You want to steam your face because it opens up your pores and withdraws the impurities and gets it ready for a nice facial mask.
- For a nice luxurious steam treatment add your favorite essential oil to the hot water. You’ll then get a nice steam and aromatherapy treatment combo. Good ones to use are lavender, lemongrass, citrus, or rose.
- If you don’t want to spend the extra money on essential oils you can always put a few bags of herbal tea in the water instead. Chamomile, peppermint or chai are all good ones to use.
Use a Facial Mask
A facial mask is key when it comes to how to do a facial at home. A mask is yet another way to draw out more impurities like excess dirt and dead skin. You can buy one from the store or for more fun you can make one of your own. Here are a few suggestions you might want to try instead of buying one:
- If you have dry skin you can try this one – take one mashed banana and one tablespoon of honey and mix together.
- For medium skin you can try mixing one tablespoon aloe and one tablespoon of honey together.
- For oily skin try mixing one teaspoon of cosmetic clay and one teaspoon of honey together.
- For all types of skin you can just use some plain honey.
No matter what kind of skin you have, take your facial mask and apply it to your skin and smooth it all over your face. Let it stay on your skin for 15 minutes. For a little bit of day spa feeling take a couple of cool cucumber slices and put them over your eyes and relax for 15 minutes. If you don’t want to use cucumbers you can use two chilled teabags instead.
Tone and Moisturize
You can either use a skin toner that you buy at the store or you can use one that you make yourself. When learning how to do a facial at home it’s important to include a toner because toners help to restore balance for your skin and even brightens it. Here are three simple and easy to make toners:
- Combine one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and one tablespoon of water together.
- Combine one tablespoon of witch hazel and one tablespoon of water together.
- Combine one tablespoon of rose water with one tablespoon of water together.
Take a cotton ball and dip in the toner and pat it all over your face.
The final thing you want to remember to do when learning how to do a facial at home is finish it all off with a nice creamy moisturizer. The best thing to do is make sure it’s one that will keep your skin from drying out and will preserve all the wonderful results of your home facial. Make sure that the moisturizer that you have doesn’t have alcohol in it because this will only dry your skin.